It's been a few years since I've been on active duty, active breastfeeding duty that is. But, luckily I still get to be surrounded by little bundles of nursling joy as many of my friends and family continue to nurse their littles and add to their family numbers.
Although our family seems to be complete, (we started a little early), there are a couple of things that I remember keeping me sane and steady during those early months of new motherhood. The first was a collection of good books with comforting advice. The following are my personal favorites.
(In no particular order):
1. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International:
2. Nighttime Parenting by William Sears, M.D.
3. The Breastfeeding Book by Martha Sears, R.N. and William Sears, M.D.
4. Natural Family Living by Peggy O'Mara
5. Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner
6. How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengson
7. The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins
8. The Baby Book by Martha Sears, R.N and William Sears, M.D.
Yes, I am partial to attachment parenting books and as you can see the Sears' books. But, unlike what Time magazine would have you believe from this month's cover, I don't think this method of parenting style has to be based on extremes of any sort. Take what works for your family, and find other methods for other areas, that's my belief. If everyone in the family is happy, healthy and safe that's the key.
The number two help for me as a new nursing mom was finding comfortable nursing bras. My favorite nursing bras were wire-free and made from a mostly natural fabrics. My personal favorites included bras from Leading Lady. Leading Lady is a family owned and operated business based in Cleveland and has been around for over 70 years.
That's why I'm so glad to offer Green Parent Chicago readers a discount on 100% certified organic nursing bras and camis from Leading Lady.
Just enter code GREEN15 at checkout for 15% off the entire Leading Lady organic collection (the collection includes bras, camis and a panty set) until June 8. This code has unlimited uses until June 8.
-photo credit: Mothering Touch, flickr